The Painted Hall
After walking down the north corridor and entering into the Painted Hall the visitor is taken by surprise by the first breath-taking scene. Despite the Greek and Roman sculptors in the Entrance Hall and the paintings of minor masters in the corridor that gradually prepare us for the grandiose contents of Chatsworth House we are still taken by surprise as we enter the Painted Hall.
The Painted Hall is located in the east range and stands on the site of the 16th century house. The Hall was designed by William Talman.
What strikes the visitor is the vastness of the well-lit Hall, the richly painted ceiling and the numerous works of art, wall paintings and sculptures and the grandiose staircase dominated by the bronze statue of Mercury, after Giambologna (1529-1608).
A view of the upper part of the Painted Hall, the North Wall
A view of the staircase in the Painted Hall leading to the statue of Mercury
The upper part of the Hall depicts scenes from the life of Julius Caesar by Luigi Laguerre (1663-1721) who also painted the ceiling.
Although the floor and staircase have been modified over the centuries the upper part of the Hall has remained the same. The present staircase was designed by W. H. Romaine-Walker in 1912 and substituted the previous one designed by Sir Jeffry Wyatville (1766-1840).
On display, on a table, there is a watercolour dated 1827 by William Henry Hunt (1790-1864) of the original twin staircase built in 1692.
Other paintings on the east wall are by Jean-Baptiste Monnoyer (1636-1699) and Jakob Bogdány (c. 1660-1724). There are also various Roman sculptures of the 2nd and 3rd centuries A. D., and 17th and 18th century Italian sculptures.