CHIPPING CAMPDEN THE COTSWOLDS A BRIEF HISTORY
AND TOURIST ATTRACTIONS
Part IV

 

 

CHIPPING CAMPDEN COTSWOLDS ST JAMES' CHURCH AND THE ALMSHOUSES

 

ST JAMES' CHURCH CHIPPING CAMPDEN

Near St James' church is a series of fine buildings, the almshouses, built in 1612 by Sir Baptist Hicks. The next significant building to be erected was the famous Market Hall located in Chipping Campden High Street also by Sir Baptist Hicks. It was built for the sale of cheese butter and poultry in 1627. Hicks also built himself a house, known as Campden House, but which no Chipping Campden Almshouseslonger exists having been burnt down by Royalists during the Civil War. The only remains of this building are the lodges, gatehouse, the ruins of two pavilions and an almonry. One of the remaining pavilions was restored by the Landmark Trust but still remains closed to the public.
Another building of interest owes its existence to a local Chipping Campden mason and quarry owner Thomas Woodward who built Bedfont House in the High Street towards the middle of the 18th century.

A significant moment in the more recent history of Chipping Campden is the establishment of the Guild and School of Handicraft. It was Charles Ashbee, follower of William Morris and Ruskin, who was responsible for moving the institution from London to here in 1902. It thus reinforced the Chipping Campden Church and Campden House GatehouseMorris influence in Cotswolds. Morris had previously discovered the fascination of Broadway and was indirectly responsible for the arrival of the cultured elite, Henry James, Sir John Sargent, Mary Anderson and Frank Millet.F. L. Griggs, artist and architect founded the Campden Trust in 1929 that is responsible for the conservation of the essential character of Chipping Campden.

In recent times Chipping Campden has become a favourite destination for tourists of all kinds and the emergence of facilities for the new source of revenue is to been seen everywhere but not to the detriment of its essential spirit save perhaps for the traffic that is still allowed to traverse its High Street.


Visit the Cotswolds in a chauffeur driven car.
For chauffeur driven services for the Cotswolds please see below.

 

History of Chipping Campden and Tourist Attractions Previous Page

 


 

Know Britain Home Page
General Index