Much pre-Reformation restructuring took place in the church financed
by a variety of church activities and by the Harewell family of Shottery.
The maintenance of the chancel of St Peter's was the duty of the Harewells.
In recognition of the support of the Harewells there are two family
tombs in the church, one of John Harewell who died in 1428 and the other,
a descendant of his, also John Harewell, who died in 1505.
Left: the tomb of John Harewell (d. 1428).
Right: the tomb of Francis Smith Lord of Wootton manor (d. 1604).
It was under the patronage of King's College, Cambridge that the church
entered an important phase of restructuring. Work included the addition
of the upper tower and spire, castellated nave and clerestory and rebuilding
of the south aisle.
It was, however, during the 17th century the condition of St Peter's
was precarious to say the least both the chancel and Lady Chapel were
in need of urgent repair. However, by the eighteenth century, under the
indefatigable vicar and doctor, Stanford Wolferstan much restoration work
had been carried out.
Restoration was continued well into the 1880s by the architect George
Gilbert Scott and the church was completely restored by the end of the
Richard Smith-Carington and his son Herbert Hanbury both made significant
contributions to the restoration of the church Richard was responsible
for the restoration of the tombs of the Harewells and his son financed
the west window of the nave.